Sunday, September 20, 2009

Swim Training

The swim. Probabley the most scarey part of doing a triathlon. I am not a good swimmer. I am a head above water type. I believe that comes from getting choked on water while trying to learn to swim with my head down and have never gotten past that point.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not afraid of the water. I enjoy getting in a pool and the hot tub is a favorite! I even did water skiing in high school. I have my scuba diving certificate as well and did dive a lot while living in Hawaii.

So with that in mind and wanting to be able to compete in a triathlon I starting looking at swimming books and even lessons online. What I found gave me some hope. I found a website, Total Immersion, that really looks promising. I believe I will get the book and the DVD and give it a try. It looks like something that I can train on my own (as doing a triathlon on a budget is required) and will definately pay off for the race. I will post a youtube link for you to look at below. It's the long version, but I think you will get the picture.

1 comment:

  1. So far so good! I remember that when I signed up for my first Ironman in September 2004 (race was June 2005) I did not know how to swim. I took the Bubbles 1 course at the University of Calgary and felt like a dork hanging out with 6-7 year old's holding on to the edge of the pool and doing 10 sets of blowing bubbles. I was like you too that I got my PADI certification back in 1996 too. I bought the Total Immersion set as well for my birthday in 2006 and never opened the package (and have since pawned it off on my co-worker, Sherman). I started my journey at 232 pounds as well and now keep it around 168.

    Good luck in your endeavors and I will be back to check in to see how things are progressing!

    ReplyDelete